Friday, March 20, 2009

Joel vs 37 Signals

I shouldn't be frustrated with JoelOnSoftware (See last post) considering he has more insight about software development in one post than I think I've mustered in my whole career. His case for functional specs is probably the best article on why you should write functional specs you can read in under ten minutes.

37 Signals "Nothing Functional about Functional Specs" is an excellent case for what's wrong with bad functional specs.

Meanwhile the rest of their approach is probabvly only feasible is you're a Web 2.0 startup doing a consumer-facing app with all internal resources and great people. Which they are so more power to them. I'm just not listening to them when I'm delivering fixed-price, mission-critical, sensitive projects to government departments.

No comments:

Post a Comment